Thursday, June 18, 2009

My new (old) project

I saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and despite some range of motion issues, he gave me permission to go back to work. With only two weeks left of my "leave of absence" I had contemplated starting another quilt, but I have had this gnawing at the back of mind. I did a block of the month at It's a Stitch several years ago in Moda's Paris Flea Market. I then took a class on how to quilt as you piece. It is a very laborious process which I realized I would never actually complete. So these blocks as well as all the fabric to complete the quilt have been sitting in my guest room closet. Last weekend I pulled them out, ripped out what I had done in the "quilt as you go" class and set about piecing this quilt top in the normal fashion. These are eleven of the twelve blocks.

And here is the basic layout of the quilt top.

This is the piecing detail.

And this is how far I have gotten...halfway there! I hope to finish it before I go back to work June 30th.


When I was outside taking that picture I rescued these poor things from the scorching 95ยบ we have had for the last several days. Summer has definitely arrived on the Gulf Coast!

2 comments:

Margie said...

That banding looks as hard as the blocks-what a beaut
iful combination

Browndirtcottage said...

It has a lovely soft soothing feel to it!!