Thursday, September 4, 2008

We're back...

We were in Milwaukee last weekend for the wedding of the son of some friends. It was the first time Mike and I had been back together since moving away six years ago. I must admit that I had a twinge of homesickness, especially when we drove past our old house. It looks pretty much the same from the street (minus the snow), although the new owners have painted the front door a brick red. And the Mary Engelbreit mailbox was an exclusion when we sold the house, so it is safe here in Texas.
Also visiting Milwaukee were 70,000 Harley-Davidson owners celebrating the company's 105th anniversary.
Here are just a few of them, heading east on Wisconsin Avenue toward the Milwaukee Art Museum.
On Thursday we ate dinner at Three Brothers, a great old Serbian restaurant.


Not fancy, but lots of character and great food.


I had the Serbian salad

and the sarma, my favorite.


On Friday we wanted to go out for a fish fry and decided to head away from the bikers, so we went to the Golden Mast out on Okauchee Lake. I promised Mike I would stop taking pictures of our food, but I did snap this one of him in front of the lake.

The wedding was Saturday night. It turns out that we knew several people there, including Kate's third grade teacher, whose daughter is good friends with the bride's sister.

On Sunday we drove up to Minneapolis to visit the kids and flew back home yesterday. When we were checking our luggage the woman at the desk asked us if we had been at the convention. I said "No, visiting our children. And if we had been at a convention, it would have been the one in Denver!"

No comments: