Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More tales from the hurricane

So, as you may recall, the cats and I were ready to "hunker down" for the storm at home, while Mike, as a member of the ride-out team was ready to spend the night at MD Anderson. I came down with a terrible cold on the Wednesday prior to the storm, and after watching 3 episodes of Big Love (during which we had a couple of momentary power outages), I made a pot of coffee for the next morning and took a healthy dose of Nyquil and went to sleep. I woke up around 2 a.m. to the sound of the power going off (lots of beeps followed by silence from the A/C and ceiling fans). When I got up at about 6 a.m. it was still raining hard with a fair amount of wind. In retrospect, I am really disappointed that I slept through it. Looking at all the havoc it wreaked I wish I could have experienced this once in a lifetime occurrence. I discovered that in addition to having no power (I was really glad I had made that coffee the night before) our phone was out as well. After it stopped raining I took these pictures. This is another view of the 30+ foot tall maple tree that was on the house.
DSC_0009
What was so impressive is that it was actually uprooted. You can see here how it disrupted the pavers in our patio.
DSC_0010
And this is what the front yard looked like. The pole for the basketball hoop just snapped off at the base.
DSC_0013
In talking with the neighbors later I learned that they had phone service, so when I was at work the following Monday, I got online and reported our problem. I received an email from AT&T saying that there was an outage in our area (duh!) and that it would be repaired by September 29. On the 24th I decided to check on status of the repair and learned that my "trouble report had been closed." Needless, to say, I was a little upset! It was bad enough that I had been without electricity for 11 days at that point, but for AT&T to close my trouble report without even attempting to fix the problem almost put me over the edge. I immediately filed another report, and someone was out to fix the problem (a tree limb on the line, among other things) on Saturday morning. I was relieved that when the electricity came back on, my DSL would be working too. Almost 16 days without electricity is not something I would wish on anyone, but fortunately the weather wasn't too hot. I'd like to say I got a lot of stitching done, but the light wasn't the best, and it was too warm to knit. I'm just happy that I only had to make one trip to the laundromat!

No comments: