Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My latest quilt

The day after Christmas I took my sister Jan and niece Emma to Cabbage Rose Quilting. It is absolutely my favorite quilt shop...too bad it is 250+ miles away! Emma fell in love with this quilt made from Amy Butler fabrics. I decided that I would make it for her high school graduation present. They told me that a kit would be available soon. I went back when we were in Fort Worth in March, but alas, no kit. No pattern either. They were kind enough to help me figure out how many fabrics I would need and I sketched out the pattern. I quickly got it pieced before my surgery, not knowing how long I would be unable to use my sewing machine, and sent it off to be quilted. (My friend Sue has hooked me up with a quilter in Arkansas who machine quilts in half the time and for half the price of what I have found locally...just have to pay postage.) I hadn't anticipated that Emma's graduation would be so early. It was last Thursday evening, in Lawton, Oklahoma. I was getting ready to drive up to my mom's (near Fort Worth) on Wednesday, and then to drive her up to Lawton on Thursday. I was literally packing up the car, when the mail arrived, and there was Emma's quilt. I had the binding ready to go, so machine sewed it on at home and took it with me. I hand sewed the binding on Wednesday night...I always have functioned best under pressure! I even remembered to take a photo of it.

DSC_0002

Emma had been told by her mother that because of my surgery I wouldn't be making her a graduation quilt. I'm not sure she bought that line, but she did seem happy and surprised with her gift.

DSC_0010

7 comments:

texcinlulu said...

That quilt is gorgeous.
You're amazing.
I know your niece is thrilled to have it. You're a good Auntie.
Hugs,
Cindy

BitsAndPieces said...

Pam, love those vibrant colors in Emma's beautiful quilt...amazing that you were able to complete it just in time. Wow!
Sandy

Andrea said...

It's beautiful Pam! I love Amy Butler fabrics too, in fact, should really go into my stash and whip something up!

Sharon said...

Another beautiful quilt, Pam. The Amy Butler fabric is so pretty. What a special gift for your niece

XUE said...

What a lucky niece to have such a wonderful caring & talented aunt! I do hope that you are recuperating nicely!

Christy said...

This is really pretty. I love all the patterns.

Nanette Merrill said...

Those fabrics are fabulous. You can see she loves it.